As FFANZ delegate one of my responsibilities is to raise funds to ensure that next year’s delegate is able to make the trip from New Zealand. A traditional way to do this is holding fan fund auctions at various cons through the year.
I always feel bad about asking people for stuff, but I am looking for donations of items and services from the spec fic community to be auctioned off. I thought rather than contact people directly–and put them in the awkward position of having to say no!–I would start by sending this out publicly so that people who would like to contribute can do so.
Some ideas for things that would be awesome to offer for sale:
- signed books
- “tuckerisations” – offering the chance for someone to be written into a story or book
- critiques by established authors
But, I am open to other suggestions. You can contact me via social media, email or via the feedback form here.
If you are able to help, or can signal boost this, it would be greatly appreciated–thank you!
I am very excited to announce that I am going to Reconnaissance, the 36th New Zealand National Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Convention as the FFANZ Laureate! It will be held over Easter 2015.
Thank you to everyone who voted for me in the FFANZ race, and my commiserations to “Hold Over funds”–you were a worthy opponent! Also, a big shout out to Cat Sparks and Norman Cates for being my nominators. You’re awesome!
I can’t to meet all the New Zealand fans and I plan on making sure that I am the best delegate I can be. 🙂
You’re probably asking, what is a FFANZ delegate?
FFANZ is the Fan Fund for Australia/New Zealand, and is designed to send a fan delegate from NZ to Australia every second year, and an Australian to NZ in the alternate year.
Duties of the delegate include:
- Travel to New Zealand to attend Reconnaissance, to be held in Rotorua, NZ over Easter, 3rd – 6th April, 2015.
- Visit and get to know as many New Zealand Science Fiction fans as time will permit.
- Become the Australian FFANZ administrator until a replacement administrator is found, normally this happens when the administrator role is handed over to the succeeding NZ-bound delegate (in 2017 if a race is run every year).
- Raise funds and maintain an account to be used by the next Aus delegate(s) in 2016.
- Promote connections between Australian and New Zealand fandom by a trip report or other means.
So, basically, it exists to build relationships between Australian and New Zealand fandom, and hopefully benefit both communities by sharing ideas and philosophies.
I have been involved with a number of convention committees, and I have volunteered to help out with the New Zealand Worldcon bid. I hope that I can share some of the things I have seen work here in Australia, and pick up ideas from what has worked in New Zealand to bring back for future cons I am involved in..
I am the only one running so it may seem like I don’t really need your vote, but there are still two really good reasons I do. One, the voting fee goes into the pot to keep the fan fund running – the more votes the better for FFANZ. And, two, I really don’t want to get beaten by “hold over funds”! lol
You can read about my platform, and the voting process, here. If you decide I deserve your vote it would be deeply appreciated. Voting closes on December the 15th.